Sebastian Taylor’s music news: classical guitar; Russia Opera’s Carmen; Winterreise; organ recital; Holloway Opera
13 September, 2018 — By Sebastian Taylor
Schubert exponent Ian Bostridge at the Wigmore Hall on September 17 and 19
IF the classical guitar is your thing, get along to Regent Hall in Oxford Street this Friday lunchtime (September 14) to hear a recital given by guitarist/ composer/conductor Kevin Sherwin. He’s one of the world’s leading guitarists, a multi-award winner. He’s playing piece by Mendelssohn, Meyerbeer, Villa-Lobos and Chopin among others.
• Guitar recital: Kevin Sherwood, Regent Hall, 275 Oxford Street, 1pm, free
THE Russian State Opera is putting on a dramatic, powerful staging of Bizet’s Carmen this Sunday evening (September 16) at Cadogan Hall, Knightsbridge. It follows last year’s successful season of Madame Butterfly and Tosca. Carmen is being sung in French with English surtitles.
• Bizet’s Carmen: Russian State Opera, Cadogan Hall, 6pm, from £30, , www.cadoganhall.com/whats-on/
TOP-NOTCH Kentish Town tenor Ian Bostridge – one of the world’s leading Schubert exponents – is singing the composer’s great Winterreise at the Wigmore Hall next Monday and Wednesday evenings, in collaboration with piantist Thomas Adès.
• Wigmore Hall, 36 Wigmore Street, W1, September 17 and 19, 7.30pm, from £18, 020 7935 2141, www.wigmore-hall.org.uk
AN absolute “must” for organ fans is next Wednesday’s opportunity to explore the inner workings of the great Henry Willis organ at Union Chapel, Islington (September 19). The tour includes the original hydraulics and a glimpse of some of the 2,000 pipes that help make the organ one of the finest in the world. There’s an organ recital before the tour.
• Organ recital + organ tour, Union Chapel,Compton Terrace, N1, 1pm, free, 020 7226 1686, www.unionchapel.org.uk
OPERA Holloway’s touring production of Bellini’s I Capuleti e i Montecchi, based on Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet , visits Hoxton next Wednesday evening, conducted by Lewis Gaston. It’s being performed at the Courtyard Theatre, Great Pitfield Street, N1.
• Courtyard Theatre, 40 Pittfield Street, N1, 7.30pm, £20+, www.thecourtyard.org.uk