Sebastian Taylor’s music news: English Touring Opera; sounds of Norway; Ian Bostridge
28 February, 2019 — By Sebastian Taylor
Mary Plazas as Elizabeth I. Photo: Feast Creative
ENGLISH Touring Opera is back at the Hackney Empire with three operas, each being performed once, starting with Rossini’s Elizabeth I this Saturday (March 2). Mozart’s Idomeneo follows on Friday, March 8, and then Verdi’s Macbeth on March 9.
• Hackney Empire, 291 Mare Street, E8 1EJ. 7.30pm, £10-£35, 020 8985 2424, hackneyempire.co.uk
NEW sounds featuring improvisers and contemporary music-makers from the UK and Norway are being celebrated at Kings Place this Friday evening (March 1). Music is being played by exciting, dynamic 14-piece ensemble Laura Jurd’s band Dinosaur joined by the Ligeti Quartet and Anja Lauvdal and Heida Mobeck from Norway.
• Kings Place, 90 York Way, N1 9AG. 7.30pm, from £9.50 savers, 020 7520 1490, www.kingsplace.co.uk
BRITISH tenor Ian Bostridge and American jazz pianist-composer Brad Mehldau are at the Wigmore Hall this Sunday evening (March 3). Bostridge is singing a new Mehldau song cycle written specially for him. The songs centre on the theme of “modern sinuous nature of human desire as it exists in love and adoration”.
• Wigmore Hall, 36 Wigmore Street, W1, 7.30pm, from £18, 020 7935 2141, www.wigmore-hall.org.uk
WIGMORE Hall is promoting its first concert at the Roundhouse, Chalk Farm, next Wednesday evening (March 6). Performing is the Frankfurt-based Ensemble Modern, renowned for its performances of modern and new music. Being performed are pieces by Boulez, Messiaen, Ligeti, Ustvolskaya and Sir George Benjamin – and Sir George is conducting.
• The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm Road, NW1, 7.30pm, from £10, 0300 6789 222, www.roundhouse.org.uk
FRESH from singing the title role in Donitzetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor, soprano Sarah Tynan is returning to the English National Opera to sing the vivacious Hanna in Franz Lehar’s The Merry Widow this Friday evening (March 1).
• ENO, London Coliseum, St Martin’s Lane, WC2N 4ES, evening performances at 7.30pm on March 6, 8, 9, 13, 15 22. 27, 29 and April 1, 4; matinee performance at 3pm on April 13, from £12, 020 7845 9300, www.eno.org.uk