Sebastian Taylor’s music news: MetLive screenings; LSO family concert; Brahms’ Requiem; Halloween
25 October, 2018 — By Sebastian Taylor
Eva-Maria Westbroek in La Fanciulla Del West. Photo: Ken Howard/Met Opera
A DOUBLE-DOSE of great opera screenings is on its way this weekend. Saturday evening (October 27), it’s the New York Met’s production of Puccini’s La Fanciulla Del West where soprano Eva-Maria Westbroek is our gun-slinging heroine alongside Jonas Kaufmann as the outlaw who steels her heart. Sunday evening (October 28), it’s the Royal Opera House’s production of Wagner’s Die Walküre conducted by Antonio Pappano.
• La Fanciulla Del West, October 27 at 5.55pm: Cinema screenings at Barbican; Curzon Bloomsbury & Mayfair; Everyman Belsize Park & Hampstead; & Phoenix East Finchley
• Die Walküre, October 28 at 7.30pm: Cinema screenings at Barbican; Curzons Mayfair and Victoria; Odeons Swiss Cottage and Covent Garden; Picturehouse Central; Vue Piccadilly Circus and West End
THERE’S fun to be had at the Barbican on Saturday afternoon (October 27) at an LSO Discovery Family Concert. Bring your family along to join two good friends, Presto and Zesto, in search of cake who find themselves lost in Limboland, all accompanied by popular selections from the classical repertoire.
• LSO Discovery Family Concert: Presto & Zesto in Limboland, suitable for 7-to-12s, Barbican, Silk Street, EC2, 2.30pm, £5 under 16s, £10-12 adults, 020 7638 8891, www.barbican.org.uk
COME and Sing Brahms’ Ein Deutsches Requiem at St Martin-in-the-Fields on Saturday morning (October 27). You’ll be singing with members of crack choir St Martin’s Voices. Doors open at 10am; workshop starts at 10.15am; and there’s a performance starting at 12.30pm.
• St Martin-in-the-Fields, Trafalgar Square, WC2, 10.15am, £12 inc music hire, 020 7766 1100, www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org
ST MARTIN-in-the-Fields is getting into Halloween in a big way next Wednesday evening (October 31). It’s putting on its first annual spooky night of jazz in the church’s Crypt. There’ll be Halloween-“themed” food and drink, decorations and music performed by The Fabulations.
• Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields, Trafalgar Square, WC2, 8pm, £35, 020 7766 1100, www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org
HALLOWEEN is also being marked at Union Chapel, Islington, by a performance of Medusa: The Transformation by artist/musician Boe Huntress. Promised is a performance of live music, projection mapping, soundscapes and ritual.
• Union Chapel, Compton Terrace, N1, doors 7pm, £15, 020 7226 1686, www.unionchapel.org.uk