With love on St Valentine’s Day
08 February, 2018 — By Sebastian Taylor
James Kitchman and Sylvia Schmidt perform at the Vortex
Amorous jazz fans have plenty of choice when it comes to gigs on St Valentine’s Day evening on Wednesday.
Alize Zawadzki. PHOTO: Melody McLaren
Super jazz singer/ violinist Alice Zawadzki is singing amorous songs exploring the darker and lighter sides of love at the Green Note, Parkway, Camden Town. She’s being accompanied by two of the UK’s finest improvising cellists, Alice Purton and Shirley Smart.
Gorgeous singer Sylvia Schmidt, joined by guitarist James Kitchman, is performing at the Vortex, Dalston. For this night, they’ve curated a cycle of songs about the timeless truths of love, jealousy, murder, nobility and avarice.
Georgia Mancio. PHOTO: Lara Leigh
Award-winning jazz vocalist/lyricist Georgia Mancio is singing at the Hampstead Lounge & Jazz Club. A true improviser with boundless and bold imagination, she produces music of beauty, bite and unfailing integrity –just the thing for aValentine’s gig.
Katie Bradley. PHOTO by Leo Lyons
The soaring voice of blues singer/harmonica player Katie Bradley should provide the perfect setting for a Valentine’s date when she performs in the Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields. Her stage presence, talent and luminosity wins her new followers wherever she performs.
Natalie Williams, one of the UK’s most endearing and popular soul/jazz singers is singing with her long-standing piano/partner Joe Stilgoe at Ronnie Scott’s, Soho. They’ve devised a special Valentine’s Day show to get hearts a-fluttering.
Valentine’s Day jazz specials:
• Alice Zawadski, Green Note, 106 Parkway, NW1, 8.30pm, £10, 020 7485 9899, www.greennote.co.uk
• Syliva Schmidt, Vortex Jazz Club, 11 Gillett Square, N16, 8pm, £12, 020 7254 4097, www.vortexjazz.co.uk
• Georgia Mancio, Hampstead Lounge & Jazz Club, 22-25 New End, NW3, 8pm, £18, 07548 749817, http://nw3jazzlounge.co.uk
• Soaring voice/soulful blues: Katie Bradley, Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields, 8pm, from £8, 020 7766 1100, www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/whats-on/?category=jazz-nights
• Natalie Williams & Joe Stilgoe, Ronnie Scott’s, 47 Frith Street, W1, 7.30pm, from £45, 020 7439 0747, https://www.ronniescotts.co.uk